5 Vitamin K rich foods that you should add to your diet today!!
by Bsocial Consultant on Jul 23, 2023
Vitamin K is fat-soluble. It is found in two forms. One is phylloquinone and the other is Menaquinones. Both are essential for our bodies. They have several benefits for bones and heart. In this blog, we are going to discuss 5 Vitamin K rich foods that will help you take this advantage.
Benefits of Vitamin K foods -
Vitamin K has lots of benefits for our health. It is essential for bones, heart, and blood. Let’s see in detail what are the other benefits of Vitamin K foods.
- Our body needs Vitamin K for blood clotting. This is because Vitamin K produces prothrombin. Prothrombin is a protein that is essential for blood clotting.
- Vitamin K increases the metabolism of our body.
- It also keeps your blood pressure down. This is done by keeping the level of minerals in arteries low. This ultimately protects you from a heart attack.
- Another benefit of vitamin K rich foods is that it helps in boosting your memory.
5 Vitamin K rich foods for Your Health
There are a lot of foods that can provide you with Vitamin K. Some of these are given below -
Cashew is a highly nutritious nut. It comes from the cashew tree which belongs to South America. As per doctors, an adult male needs 120 mcg of vitamin K. An adult female needs 90 mcg of vitamin K every day. 1 ounce which is 28 grams of cashew has 10 mcg of vitamin K. This is 8.33% of vitamin K that an average adult needs.
Other nutrients that are present in cashew are -
- Vitamin B6
Walnuts are another example of vitamin K rich foods in India. They are edible seeds and come from tree juglans regia. They have several types, all of which are rich sources of Vitamin K. There is 0.8 mcg of Vitamin K in 28 grams of walnuts. This is 1% of the daily requirement of Vitamin K.
Also, some other nutrients that are present in Walnuts are -
- Vitamin B6
Blueberries are a highly nutritious fruit. They have several benefits for our health. These can help you -
- Maintain healthy bones
- Reduce blood pressure
- Manage diabetes and
- Protection from heart diseases.
The daily requirement of Vitamin K present in blueberries is 29mcg in one serving (148 grams). Apart from Vitamin K, it has other nutrients as well. These are -
- Vitamin C
Figs are another example of Vitamin K rich foods. They are of two types - Raw and dried. Raw figs have 4.7 mcg of vitamin K. Dried figs have 15.6 mcg of Vitamin K. Figs have the following benefits for our body -
- Helps control blood pressure
- Helps in digestion
- Helps with weight loss
- Protects your heart from heart diseases
- Makes your joints strong
- Cures reproductive problems
Some other nutrients that are present in Figs are -
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Carrots are a root vegetable. They were first grown in Afghanistan. They come in a variety of colors. They are rich in nutrients that have benefits for your overall health. When it comes to Vitamin K, they have 8.1 mcg of it.
The benefits of including carrots in your diet are -
- The antioxidants protect your cells from damage.
- They have high fiber content that helps in weight loss.
- The glycemic index of carrots is low, hence are good for diabetes.
- Potassium helps in blood sugar control.
Some other nutrients that are present in carrots are -
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A
- Several plant compounds
Signs you need to add vitamin K rich food in your diet
Your body cannot make Vitamin K. That is why it is important for us to keep Vitamin K rich foods in our diet. But how do you know whether you are getting enough Vitamin K or not?
Read the points that are given below. They will give you an idea about the symptoms of deficiency of Vitamin K.
- You will have excessive cough and mucus in your lungs.
- You will feel tired
- You will repeatedly capture pneumonia
- You will suffer from sinus pain and infection
- You will lose your appetite
- Weight gain
- You will have a fatty stool
- You will suffer from chronic diarrhea
- You will have anemia
- You will start losing muscles
- You will have abdominal pain in the upper right side
- Your urine will be dark
- You will have a fever and itching
- You will suffer from nausea and vomiting
Problems due to low consumption of Vitamin K rich food
- Digestive disorders that cause fat malabsorption
- Taking anticoagulants, such as warfarin
- A blocked bile duct
- Cystic fibrosis
In conclusion, Vitamin K is an essential nutrient for your body. It is necessary for your overall health. This makes consumption of Vitamin K rich foods a must.
A lack of Vitamin K can result in a lot of health problems. They can be mild such as cough or fever. They can also be severe such as pneumonia. If you want to start including Vitamin K in your diet then visit HealthyMaster.
Some of the vitamin K rich foods such as Walnuts, figs, etc are available there. You can buy them online at an affordable price.