14 Calcium-Rich Foods You Must Have in Your Diet - Healthy Master
by Bsocial Consultant on Dec 01, 2022
Sharing a list of 14 foods including vegetables, fruits, dry fruits, nuts, and seeds that are rich in calcium that you must include in your diet.
Calcium is a mineral that is necessary for maintaining good health. The body stores calcium in the bones and teeth. However, calcium serves various functions in the human body besides forming and bolstering bones and teeth. For example, your body needs it to function properly in order for your muscles to move and for your nerves to send instructions to your brain. Additionally, it aids in the release of hormones that are important for carrying out a variety of tasks in your body. So you must include calcium rich foods in your diet.
If you are looking for calcium-rich foods, then you are at the right place. There are different sources of calcium, like vegetables, fruits, dry fruits, and seeds, to name a few. Get ready to know the foods that are a rich source of calcium.
Also Read: 7 Iron-Rich Dry Fruits & Nuts
Top 5 Calcium Rich Vegetables
Vegetables are regarded as a rich source of calcium. While these are often beneficial for leading a healthy lifestyle, eating vegetables can fulfil your body's requirement for calcium. Here is the list of the top 5 calcium rich vegetables that you must include in your diet.
- Spinach - One of the vegetables high in calcium, spinach has 136mg of calcium per 100 gm. Spinach is a nutrient-dense leafy green that is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, folate, and potassium. Additionally, it is loaded with fibre. It can be eaten fried, cooked, or raw.
- Ladies Finger - A popular calcium-rich vegetable in India, ladies finger is also a great source of antioxidants, proteins, minerals, and calcium. Furthermore, it is good for your gastrointestinal health. You can eat them roasted in oil. 100 g of ladies finger contain around 77 mg of calcium.
- Sweet Potato - Sweet potatoes are a super-delicious vegetable that are a rich source of nutrients like beta carotene, vitamin C, and potassium. 100 g of sweet potatoes contain 30 mg of calcium. Roast them and enjoy their delicious taste in the winter season.
- Broccoli - Broccoli, a member of the cruciferous family, is one of the calcium rich vegetables. It is rich in nutrients like vitamin C, iron, phosphorous, potassium, etc. that help in the prevention of various types of cancer. 1 cup of broccoli contains 100 mg of calcium. Eat 1 cup of broccoli a day to meet your calcium requirements.
- Turnip Greens - Turnip Greens are a calcium-rich, leafy green vegetable that promotes bone health. Additionally, they are a rich source of vitamin K which plays an important role in bone metabolism and vascular health. 100 gm of turnip greens contain around 137mg of calcium.
Top 5 Calcium Rich Fruits
In addition to vegetables, fruits are a basic necessity to live a healthy and fit life. Moreover, fruits are considered calcium-rich foods. Here is the list of 5 top calcium rich fruits that you must include in your diet.
- Orange - Orange a magical fruit makes on the list of calcium rich fruits as 1 orange contains approximately 60 mg of calcium. Additionally, oranges help boost the immune system. Furthermore, oranges contain antioxidants, vitamin B6, magnesium, and calcium. They help in the production of haemoglobin and also manage blood pressure.
- Kiwi - The next fruit on the list of fruits high in calcium is the kiwi. Each piece of Kiwi contains approximately 23.5 mg of calcium. Additionally, they are high in vitamin C and dietary fiber. Nutrient-packed kiwi is beneficial for the heart, digestive health, and immunity.
- Guavas - To your surprise, guavas are a rich source of calcium. 18mg of guavas contain 18mg of calcium. Additionally, they are a rich source of vitamin C, lycopene, and antioxidants, which promote skin health.
- Mulberries - A great source of calcium, 100gm of mulberries contain 39mg of calcium. Therefore, they help make your bones and teeth stronger. Additionally, mulberries reduce cholesterol and manage blood sugar levels.
- Passion fruit - Last fruit that makes on our list of calcium rich fruits is passion fruit. It is a great source of various minerals, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and iron. These bone-strengthening minerals play an important role in making your bones strong and healthy.
Top 4 Calcium Rich Dry Fruits, Nuts & Seeds
To your surprise, dry fruits, nuts, and seeds are also a great source of calcium, apart from being rich in protein and fibre. Here are the top 4 calcium rich dry fruits and seeds that you must include in your diet.
- Almonds - Of all the nuts, almonds provide the most calcium per serving. Additionally, they are high in protein, fibre, healthy fats, magnesium, manganese, and vitamin E.
- Chia Seeds - Chia seeds include boron and are a good source of plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, both of which support bone health. It is regarded as one of the top calcium-rich foods in general. 2 tablespoons of chia seeds contain approximately 179 mg of calcium.
- Figs - Compared to other dried fruits, figs are richer in calcium while also being rich in potassium, vitamin K, antioxidants, and fibre. A great on-the-go snack, 2 dried figs give your body 65 mg of calcium.
- Sesame Seeds - One of the calcium rich seeds, sesame seeds contain 87.80 mg of calcium per tablespoon. Calcium content in sesame seeds supports the function of muscles, hormones, and blood vessels. Furthermore, they are a great source of protein, which helps the muscles and tissues stay healthy.
Also Read: 6 Vitamin-C Rich Dry Fruits & Berries
Also Read: 5 Health Benefits of Figs
The human body needs calcium because it is essential for maintaining the health of bones, the heart, muscles, and nerve signaling. Doctors advise getting at least 1,000 mg of calcium each day. Therefore, maintaining good health requires consuming foods high in calcium. Apart from dairy products, you can get calcium from fruits, vegetables, dry fruits, nuts, and seeds. Include calcium rich foods in your diet and live a healthy life. Healthy Master is your one stop-centre for all your calcium rich dry fruits, nuts and seeds.
Also Read: Vitamin-D Rich Dry Fruits